All Grain 6 – Spitfire-ish

I’m rather partial to a pint of Shepherd Neame’s Spitfire, so it seems like a reasonable isea to try and clone it. There are a couple of recipes around on the internet, so I pretty much just swiped one of those. It looks like:

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 1 lbs. 1.6 oz 500 grams 10.5%
Pale Malt 5 EBC 7 lbs. 11.4 oz 3500 grams 73.2%
Torrefied Wheat 4 EBC 0 lbs. 13.0 oz 370 grams 7.7%
Amber Malt 60 EBC 0 lbs. 8.1 oz 230 grams 4.8%
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 0 lbs. 6.3 oz 180 grams 3.8%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Golding Whole 5.7 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 15 grams 24.2%
Target Whole 11.4 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.9 oz 27 grams 43.5%
Golding Whole 5.7 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 0.7 oz 20 grams 32.3%

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.5% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 47 EBU
Colour: 32 EBC

Having decided on this recipe and got the grains needed I came across various articles that seemed to indicate that the real thing has no amber malt in it at all. However Ive stuck to the above with only a couple of minor alterations; it got an extra 100g or so of MO and about60g extra crystal malt, as it killed off both bags. This also marks the passing of the first batch of 120EBC Crystal, which I bought last May. The brew itself was fairly uneventful, except that I miscalculated my sparge water and ended up about 3l short somehow. Even a bit of kettle top-up couldn’t make up the difference and I finished with under 20l of wort. It did, however, hit 1050, so a couple more litres of cold water in post boil got it back to around the target FG.

It’s now sat in the fermenter with a sachet of Nottingham added. Lets see if the Nottingham is quicker to get working than the S-04 I used last time.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.